Each year around this time, everyone enrolled in an individual or family health insurance plan, has the option of “Open Enrollment.” This allows you to view and shop for alternate plans with your selected insurance company or consider alternative health insurance through the policies offered through www.Healthcare.gov. Medicare options for Open Enrollment ended December 7, 2016.
Here Are Some Helpful Tips to guide you through “Open Enrollment”:
- The Open Enrollment Period is From November 1, 2015 – January 31, 2016.
- Important dates for 2016 enrollment:
- If you do not enroll in a health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you will not be able to enroll in a health insurance plan in 2016, unless you qualify for a special enrollment period. A “Special Enrollment Period” is allowed when a life event occurs. For example: having a baby, getting married, or loss of employment.
- November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
- December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016
- January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
- January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
- January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollment or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
- Before applying for an insurance plan, see if you qualify for a savings based upon your income. You will more than likely be asked this information prior to choosing a plan with your insurance carrier, before receiving a price quote. Note: your income will be verified through prior tax returns filed.
- All insurance carriers right now are in the open enrollment period: BlueCross - Blue Shield, Aetna, Cigna, Humana, and United Healthcare.
- Medicaid can be applied for at any time and does not have an open enrollment time period.
- Here are some helpful websites when comparing cost associated with insurance plans.
http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/ - Offers health insurance quotes to AAA members. Through AAA representatives.
Hope this information helps in your quest to find the best health insurance coverage for 2016!
~Now Let’s Get Going ~ Sally Cares Team